• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1979 242DL - Analog Motoring

Good Job!
If you have a b6304s2 then the earlier cams (204hp) are a great upgrade, wakes the engine up above 4000rpm.
I have got the same 30mph vibration lol, still need to fix that. Normally its hardly noticeable, but it gets worse with a trunk full of stuff. I measured the trans flange angle before I took out the engine. With new mounts it was 3 degrees down (m47).
P0505 could be a vac leak at the intake boots and check your fuel pressure regulator. Don't remember which, but one of the two types is prone to leaking through the vac hose.
Thanks, I'll check into this. I doubt it is the intake boots b/c I re-clamped them with new clamps, but I'll try spraying around with carb cleaner to see if there are any sneaky leaks. How does one identify the "early" cams? Is there a different ID stamped on them?
DET17:
Excellent! Love the sweet song of that inline 6, just smooth by comparison to the bangers.

Couldn't see in your video, do you have an E-fan? Also did you say AC delete? That could come in handy during summer months.

Did you do an engine refresh (bearings, seals) or is it bone stock "as found"? Please take some pics of your T5 and show the shifter mounting details..... I'll be doing the same thing on my 242 which will get the T5 gear box (to start off).
Yup I am running a e-fan.
My car never had ac, so I took the compressor off of the engine to save some weight.
I put a new timing belt/water pump on the engine and replaced rear main seal and rear cam seal and plug since they were leaking. Also replaced the plugs, coil packs and put in a Dave Barton coil harness repair kit. Otherwise the engine is as found. It ran fine in the donor car.

Here are pics of the trans/shifter location:

cFRec7Vl.jpg

mxnFptpl.jpg

ak9t0ojl.jpg

This plate moved the shifter handle back to where it was before, but shifting into 2/4/R really pulls on the rubber shifter boot, so I may drill another set of holes halfway between.

Last edited:
Here are pics of the trans/shifter location:

cFRec7Vl.jpg

mxnFptpl.jpg

ak9t0ojl.jpg

This plate moved the shifter handle back to where it was before, but shifting into 2/4/R really pulls on the rubber shifter boot, so I may drill another set of holes halfway between.
I'm sure you tried, but was there any hope of moving engine/trans more aft? Or were you against the firewall / bellhousing?
If you enlarged the factory shift hole forward, would your knuckles be into the dash/instrumentation?

Long ago there was a couple home grown T5 shifter offset kits out and about. Don't recall them being properly commercialized, more custom built.

Nice work.... does this latest powertrain still qualify as analog motoring? ;-)

Haha, technically not "analog" anymore, but feels more like it vs. newer stuff.

If the engine moves back then the heater hoses get pinched between the head and firewall. As it is now there is hardly any clearance at the heater hoses but the 6 cyl doesn't move nearly as much vs. the redblock, so hose chafing is likely a low risk. This is where the M90 has an advantage over the T5 I guess b/c the shifter is not directly attached to the transmission so there is more flexibility to adjust the location.

It depends on your shifter and personal preference, but without any spacer I think 1/3/5 would be too close to the dash.

Thanks, I'll check into this. I doubt it is the intake boots b/c I re-clamped them with new clamps, but I'll try spraying around with carb cleaner to see if there are any sneaky leaks. How does one identify the "early" cams? Is there a different ID stamped on them?
I have held them side by side and i only remember the lobes being higher. All pre 97 B6304 have te good cams, most 97-98 are 180hp. I have seen some later cars with the 204hp engine, all with secondary air pump and im sure the 180hp engine setup is without the pump. We just check the cars registration, don't know how it's done in the states.

Motronic 4.4 question: is the system throwing faults because the AW auto trans is not feeding back data to it? What I think I understand is the later Motronic might need tweaking when manual gearboxes are used for torque multiplication.

Motronic 4.4 question: is the system throwing faults because the AW auto trans is not feeding back data to it? What I think I understand is the later Motronic might need tweaking when manual gearboxes are used for torque multiplication.
There is a P1618 code for TCM fault (I assume because TCM is not connected).

This discussion described how the ECU/TCM communicate and how to prevent the ECU from torque limiting (starting at post #10).
https://turbobricks.com/index.php?t...anagement-between-shifts.295517/#post-5374477

This document was also helpful to understand the links between ECU/TCM and expected voltages.
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/download/file.php?id=4166

Currently I have 12v connected to pins B2 and B3 and 9v connected to B24.

Admittedly I do not have many miles on it at this point, but the first drive did not seem to be torque limited.

Last edited:
So I just went through this shifter deal on my swap. There is a guy that makes shifters which are basically McLeod's from what I can tell but he has different offsets and they are extremely low profile. I did a adapter like you have and it would grab the boot and shove the car out of gear. I believe he makes t5 shifters as well still. They feel awesome imo

Back